Africa Union 2021/2022 AfCFTA Innovation Challenge For Young Africans
This challenge engages young people to develop and curate policy ideas for the implementation of the Africa Continental Free Trade Area (AfCFTA).
The objective of the challenge
- To identify and disseminate innovative ideas, solutions and actions which will maximize the benefits of the AfCFTA, especially for women and youth
- To enhance capacity of young Africans for policy development and implementation
- To integrate young Africans into AfCFTA policy making processes
About African Union
The African Union (AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organisation of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). The main objectives of the OAU were to rid the continent of the remaining vestiges of colonisation and apartheid; to promote unity and solidarity amongst African States; to coordinate and intensify cooperation for development; to safeguard the sovereignty and territorial integrity of Member States and to promote international cooperation.
AU AfCFTA Innovation Challenge
Aim and Benefits of AU AfCFTA Innovation Challenge
The top 10 finalists will benefit from:-
- Development of an AfCFTA implementation plan for a country or regional economic community, with mentorship from leading trade experts, industry captains, trade negotiators.
- Masterclass on ‘maximizing opportunities in the AfCFTA’ led by senior policy officials and leading youth entrepreneurs
- Online publication and presentation of the AfCFTA Implementation Plan to high-level policy officials
Requirements for AU AfCFTA Innovation Challenge Qualification
- Applicants must hold nationality of one of the 55 member states of the AU
- Applicants must be between the ages of 15 – 35. We strongly encourage submissions from female applicants
- Engaged in policy/trade development or interested in building experience in policy/trade development
Checkout: 100 Study Abroad Frequently Asked Questions
November 23, 2021
How to Apply
Interested and qualified? Go to African Union on bit.ly to apply
- Application submissions will be online in English or French through:
- Applicants will respond to only one essay question policy question on the AfCFTA
- Submissions must be 250 to 300 words, Font Arial, 11, 1.5 spacing, justified margins.
- Attachments should be labelled properly indicating the name of the applicant and the question answered
For more details, visit AU website