There are several steps that you need to take to become a pilot in Ghana. You will need to go through years of education, training and certification to fly an aircraft. This article will help you to achieve your goal of becoming a professional pilot in Ghana.
Requirements Become a Pilot in Ghana
To get accepted as a pilot student in an aviation school, you need to meet the following requirements.
- Age: Applicants must be at least 17 years old. This is the minimum age before you can even gain accepted into aviation schools in Ghana.
- English requirements: Prospective applicants must also be fluent in English and any other native language. English is the language of aviation internationally. It is recommended to meet a Level 4 English standard before receiving your Commercial Pilot License.
- Educational requirements: Have a Secondary School Leaving Certificate with a minimum of 5 credits including Mathematics, English, Physics, Geography, and any other science subjects. Have a University degree which is not mandatory but gives you a higher chance of getting a job
- Obtain a Commercial Pilot Certificate: This is the final requirement before you can get employed by any airline company in Ghana.
- Medical Certificate: In order to start your pilot training you will need to secure a Medical Certificate – in order to get this, it is best to speak with the Flight School you want to start with and they will help arrange it for you
Aviation Schools in Ghana
Before you choose your aviation school, you have to learn the following important things about your future profession:
- You will study a lot to become a pilot
- You will have to pay a lot for your education
- It will be difficult to find a good-paying job immediately after graduation because you need many flying hours if you wish to earn good money.
How much does it cost to study for a pilot? Usually, it’s expensive to study in aviation schools in Ghana. However, if you choose to study abroad, you will have to pay way more.
Below are the aviation schools in Ghana that offer training for the grant of full commercial pilot license with multi-engine ratings.
- Institute of Aviation and Professional Studies
- Ghana CAA Aviation Training Academy
- APTECH Aviation & Hospitality Academy
- Mish Aviation
Obtain Pilot Certificates
There are two main certificates you have to get if you wish to be a pilot:
- Medical certificate
- Aviation certificate
Actually, you can get several types of each certificate. Medical documents differ depending on your aircraft category. Ghanaians who are looking to work as private pilots might need a third or second class document. Those who will become commercial pilots will need to get the first-class document.
In addition to having a medical certificate, you’ll need to get your aviation documents to be eligible for flying on private and commercial jets and airplanes.
Aviation Certificates in Ghana
Here are the types of aviation certificates you will need to get if you wish to become a Ghanaian pilot after graduating from one of the aviation schools:
You can train on the helicopter (H) or a fixed-wing (A). There are several pilot licenses available in Ghana which are:
Student Pilot License (SPL): The student pilot license is issued to a pilot in training, and is a pre-requisite for the student to fly alone in the aircraft, or solo.
Commercial Pilot License (CPL-A or H): The CPL gives holders the privilege to act as flight crew on airplanes operated in commercial air transportation and Captains on light airplanes.
Airline Transport Pilot License (ATPL- A or H): The ATPL is the highest level of aircraft pilot certificate. Those certified as Airline Transport Pilots (unconditional) are authorized to act as pilot in command on scheduled air carrier’s.
Private Pilot License (PPL- A or H): The PPL provides holders with privileges as pilots on airplanes operated in private air transportation category and general aviation operations.
How Much Does it Cost to Become a Pilot?
As earlier mentioned, training to become a professional pilot is very expensive. On average, it cost about $58,995 to obtain a private pilot certificate or $75,995 when you have zero experience.
To obtain a basic commercial pilot license including instrument and multi-engine rating, you will be required to pay up to pay between $85,000- $150,000, depending on the institution the training was conducted.
Additionally, you will be required to pay between $10,000- $45000 for other aspects associated with type ratings on various aircraft types and the compulsory Airline Transport Pilot License (ATPL).
Share your thoughts with us on Become a Pilot in Ghana at the comment section!
Facts about Pilot Proffession
Professional pilots fly and navigate airplanes, helicopters, and other types of aircraft. Airline pilots work for specific companies, transporting people and cargo on fixed schedules, while commercial pilots work for companies that offer charter flights, rescue operations, or aerial photography.
Modern airplanes are operated by a cockpit crew made up of the captain and the co-pilot or first officer. Together, they share responsibility for flight duties such as steering the plane, communicating with air traffic controllers, and monitoring instruments. Older plans may also have a flight engineer on board, while newer aircraft have automated this role.
Pilot Duties & Responsibilities
While job duties may vary depending on the type of pilot, there are some that are common among pilots. Aside from flying the aircraft safely, a pilot’s tasks and duties may include the following:
- Performing pre- and post-flight aircraft inspections
- Selecting safe and efficient flight routes
- Determining risks that may occur
- Keeping accurate records for compliance purposes
- Communicating with required agencies and personnel
- Ensuring the safety and comfort of the passengers, crew, and aircraft
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the average salary for airline pilots, copilots and flight engineers is as follows:
- Median Annual Salary: $140,340 ($67.47 /hour)
- Top 10% Annual Salary: More than $208,000 ($100/hour)
- Bottom 10% Annual Salary: Less than $65,690 ($31.58/hour)
Become a Pilot in Ghana