St. Gallen Symposium Leader of Tomorrow Essay Competition 2021/2022
Application Deadline: 1st February, 2021 11:59 p.m. last time zone (UTC-12)
Offered annually? Yes
A Matter of Trust: How Can Trust be Repaired When It’s Lost?
In recent years, we have seen many reports about “trust crises” in the realms of politics, health, business, technology, science, and media. Political and corporate scandals, mass protests, and deteriorating trust indicators in global perception surveys support this diagnosis. As a result, senior leaders in many of these sectors publicly aspire to « rebuild trust » in their decisions, products, or institutions. What would be your advice to them?
Choose an area in one of the above-mentioned sectors where you see evidence that citizens’, consumers’, regulators’, employees’ or other stakeholders’ trust has been lost. Describe your example of an apparent loss of trust; offer concrete and practical proposals on repairing damaged trust. Describe your idea’s impact for the future.
- Form: Essay (max. 2,100 words)
- Language: English
- Anonymity: Your name must not be mentioned anywhere in the contribution file
- Individuality: Individual work expected, no group work allowed. The essay must be written exclusively for this contest
- Citation: All sources must be cited and referred to the respective part in the essay. All contributions will be tested for plagiarism.
Eligible Countries: All
To be taken at (country): St. Gallen, Switzerland.
About the Award: Meet 300 of society’s brightest young minds. Present and debate your ideas with 600 senior leaders. Be inspired by some of the world’s most impressive speakers. Gain a unique and new perspective on this year’s topic. Become a member of a unique global community. Celebrate our 50th anniversary with us. Win prize money of CHF 20,000 split amongst the three winners.
Type: Essay Contest
Eligibility: To be eligible, candidate must fulfil all of the following criteria:
- Enrolled in a graduate or postgraduate programme (master level or higher) in any field of study at a regular university
- Born in 1991 or later
Make sure you can provide the following documents:
- Copy of passport or other identification (in English for non-Roman languages)
- Confirmation of matriculation/enrolment from your university which proves your enrollment in a graduate/postgraduate level programme as of 1 February 2021 (download sample document here)
- Your contribution file with no indication of your name in the file name, the file metadata or the file itself
Selection Criteria: All contributions will be evaluated according to specific criteria by an independent jury composed of professors, corporate executives and entrepreneurs. The authors of the best 100 contributions qualify as Leaders of Tomorrow and will be invited by the ISC to the next St. Gallen Symposium.
Number of Awardees: 3
Value of Award: Expenses for travel, board and lodging covered, travel service provided. The award is endowed with a total prize money of CHF 20,000
Duration of Program: 6–7 May 2021
How to Apply: Apply here
In addition to your contribution, make sure to upload
- a copy of your passport (or any other official government ID but no driver’s license) to verify your age
- a confirmation of matriculation from your university confirming your graduate or postgraduate student status as of February 2021
- a short abstract (200–300 words) which can be entered in the registration form directly
in the applicable field of the registration form.
Award Providers: 35 students from the University of St. Gallen, working on an honorary basis and supported by over 350 partners.