It has become a norm of the average Ghanaian that, Ghanaian musicians are illiterate or people who have low qualifications in the formal education sector thus Tertiary Education.
Ghanascholarship.net has ”sum up” a list of Ghanaian musicians who have attained some greater heights in the educational landscapes.
Enjoy a list of Ghanaian musicians who are graduates from great Universities in and outside Ghana, with some of them climbing the ladder a bit further to acquire a Master’s Degree
1. Kwame Nsiah Apau popularly known in the Showbiz sectors as Okyeame Kwame and nicknamed Rap Doctor was born on 17 April 1976, he is a Ghanaian musician, songwriter, creative director and entrepreneur. He has got a Bachelor’s Degree in Music and Linguistics and a Master’s Degree in Marketing Strategy at the University of Ghana Business.
2. Jane Awindor was on born April 10, 1987), better known by her stage name Efya, is a Ghanaian singer, songwriter, and actress from Kumasi. She is the daughter of Nana Adwoa Awindor, a filmmaker and celebrity host of the late television show Greetings From Abroad.
Efya got her first exposure to fame when she participated in the maiden edition of the Stars of the Future talent show. And she has got a Bachelor’s Degree in theatre and music from the University of Ghana
3. M.anifest born Kwame Ametepee Tsikata, is a Ghanaian rapper, singer and a songwriter. He won Best Rapper and Hip-Hop song of the year at the 2017 Ghana Music Awards.
He has worked withDamon Albarn, Flea, Tony Allen, Erykah Badu, and is featured on five songs on the Rocket Juice And The Moon album.
He is the grandson of one of Africa’s foremost ethnomusicologists and composers J.H. Kwabena Nketia.
He holds a Bachelor’s Degree in Economics from the Macalaster College
4. Grace Kaki Awo Ocansey was born March 28, 1991, popularly known as Kaakie, is aGhanaian dancehall artist. She signed her first record deal with Xtra Large Music.
Kaakie grew up as a music lover who listened to various genres of music and did karaoke versions for many of the ones she cherished. At the University, an opportunity came for her to feature in one of the reality shows on TV called “Stars Of The Future”.
She holds BSc Midwifery Degree from the University of Ghana and Anglia University in London.
5. Elom Adablah was born 28 June 1987, better known by his stage name E.L, is a Ghanaian Afrobeats Musician, Rapper, singer andProducer.
During his first year in the university, EL signed to Jayso’s Skillions Records and helped Jayso co-produce the Skillionaires Demotape. However, after graduating from university, the Skillions broke up and EL became a solo artist.
After high school, he pursued a degree in economics and political science at the University of Ghana, Legon.
6. Kwaku Nsia Boama Known by his stage name as Flowking Stone is one of the sensational Hip-Life rappers hailing from Kumasi in the Ashanti Region of Ghana.
The undisputed rapper had formarly belonged to a duo team called BRADEZ BRADEZ was a Multi- talented musical duo, made up of the two blood brothers by the names of Kwaku Nsiah-Boamah (Flow King-Stone) and Kwaku Nsiah-Amankwah (Kunta Kinte)
Flow King-Stone, is a BSc Bio-Chemistry graduate of KNUST (2007) and Kunta Kinte is a Social Science student of University of Ghana (Legon).
7. Michael Owusu Addo, known professionally as Sarkodie, is a Ghanaian rapper and entrepreneur from Tema.
His numerous contributions to the Ghanaian music industry have earned him numerous accolades, including the Vodafone Ghana Music Award for Artiste of the Decade.
He was announced the first winner of BET’s Best International Flow act at the 2019BET Hip Hop Awards. He is also considered one of the major proponents of the Azonto genre and dance.
He attended Tema Methodist Day Senior High School and proceeded to IPMC, where he earned a degree in graphic design.
8. Livingstone Etse Satekla, better known by his stage name Stonebwoy, is a Ghanaian Afropop, Dancehall and Reggae singer.
He is the CEO of Burniton Music Group. He won the Best International Act (Africa category) at the 2015 BET Awards and Artist of the Year at the 2015 Ghana Music Awards. He is also a recipient of two billboard plaques.
He is recognized as the king of Reggae and Dance hall artists in Africa
He also studied at Methodist Day Secondary School the same year with rapper Sarkodie where he gained his High School Leaving Certificate. He continued his tertiary education at University of Professional Studies to earn a degree in Marketing in 2013
9. Osei Kwaku Vincent also known as Strongman or Strongman Burner is a Ghanaian rapper.
He was recognized for winning the maiden edition of the Next Big Thing in GH Rap music which was a rap competition in Ghana
Strongman attended Ahmadiyya Senior High School and later further his education to the tertiary level by attending University of Cape Coast.
10. Lukeman Ekow Baidoo was born on 20 June 1991, who performs under the stage name Teephlow, is a Ghanaian award-winning hip hop recording artist. He was first noted at the maiden edition of the 2012 “Next Big Thing in GH Hip Hop” Talent Hunt Show. He released his debut single, The Warning, in 2014 featuring Sarkodie.
He attended Ekumfi T.I Ahmadiyya Senior High School and earned a BSC Quantity Surveying and Construction Economics from the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology.