University of Pretoria Postdoctoral Research Fellowship 2021/2022
University of Pretoria Postdoctoral Research Fellowship
The Food Systems Research Network for Africa (FSNet-Africa) hosted by the University of Pretoria, South Africa, is offering a one-year postdoctoral fellowship starting January 2021, with the possibility of renewal for a further 2 years, dependent on satisfactory performance.
The Postdoctoral fellow will primarily support the FSNet-Africa team’s quantitative research activities, as well as monitoring and evaluation efforts. The fellow will be responsible for, inter alia, design and administration of online surveys, analysis of survey data and other quantitative research data, and the development of technical and non-technical reports and data visualisations from the aforementioned.
The fellow will assist with the collection of project monitoring data, the collation and cleaning of monitoring data and reporting of data to project funders under the guidance of the FSNet-Africa Senior Learning Lead.
Benefits of Postdoctoral Research Fellowship
The value of the fellowship is ZAR 240,000 – ZAR 360, 000 per annum (dependent on experience) as a tax-free stipend. No benefits or travel allowances are included in the value of the fellowship.
Requirements for Postdoctoral Research Fellowship Qualification
- A PhD obtained in the past five years.
- Experience in quantitative data analysis, and in-depth knowledge of statistical analysis methods.
- Advanced proficiency in using either SPSS, R, Python or similar tools for data analysis.
- Proficiency in developing and delivering online surveys.
- Excellent English verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong IT skills, including – at minimum, advanced proficiency in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Detail oriented with excellent organisational skills and ability to manage multiple deadlines.
- Self-motivated, with the ability to get things done and a strong “end-product” orientation.
Added advantages and preferences
- A PhD in a field related broadly to the food system will be an added advantage.
- Experience or training in advanced data science techniques and big data methodologies will be an added advantage.
- Experience in/knowledge of mixed-methods research approaches will be an added advantage.
- Experience in/knowledge of monitoring and evaluation methodologies will be an added advantage.
Checkout: 100 Study Abroad Frequently Asked Questions
Documents Required for Application
Applicants should provide the following before 4 December 2021:
- A letter of application describing their suitability for the fellowship
- Certified copies of academic transcripts and evidence of having graduated with (or submitted for) the PhD degree
- A CV including any publications or research output
- An example of a written output – either an academic publication or technical report.
- The names and contact details of 3 references.
December 4, 2021
How to Apply
Interested and qualified? Go to University of Pretoria on www.up.ac.za to apply
Applications will be accepted until the fellowship has been awarded. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Shortlisted candidates will be required to undertake an inbox skills assessment.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right to cancel incomplete applications, to effect changes to the conditions of the Fellowship and/or to make no awards at all.
Further information can be obtained from, and applications submitted to Dr Melody Mentz-Coetzee via email at [email protected]
For more details, visit University of Pretoria website.