University of Stellenbosch Biokinetics
University of Stellenbosch Biokinetics
Biokinetics is exercise therapy specifically suited to the individual. A biokineticist, who has specialised knowledge and skills, does individual assessments and then prescribes specific exercises in order to improve quality of life. This expertise equips the biokineticist to form part of the health team in the three main fields of biokinetics – prevention, maintenance and rehabilitation – at all levels of healthcare.
The Stellenbosch Biokinetics Centre is situated at the Sports Science Department of Stellenbosch University. In partnership with the Medi-Clinic Group the centre strives to offer top-class service with excellent equipment and facilities.
Our team consists of fully-qualified biokineticists. We work closely with doctors, specialists and physiotherapists, thus forming part of a multidisciplinary team.
Education and Qualifications
Biokinetics training entails four years of academic education (degree study) and two years of professional (internship) exposure. In the process, five years of training is required prior to registration as a Biokineticist with the Health Professions Council of South Africa.
There are selective universities that are in the process of establishing a 4 year professional degree in Biokinetics.
Entry requirement to study Biokinetics is graduate degree (3 years) in:
- BA (Human Movement Science)
- BSc (Sport Science)
Prospective students are subject to rigorous selection procedures prior to acceptance into the post-graduate Biokinetics program of training institutions. During this final year period of study the student is obliged to register as a student-in-training with both the Biokinetics Association of South Africa and the Health Professions Council of South Africa.
Biokinetics is a Postgraduate qualification offered at most universities as
- BA Hons Biokinetics
- BSc Hons Biokinetics
Professional preparation entails a two-year period of internship.
- The first year of internship is conducted simultaneously with the student’s final (fourth) year of academic preparation during the post-graduate (Honours) specialization in Biokinetics.
- The subsequent (second) year of internship is conducted at an accredited Biokinetics Practice / Centre under the supervision of a registered Biokineticist. (See Accredited Practices under Member Area). During this year the intern is supervised and is subject to 6 monthly evaluations.
- During the second year of internship the Biokinetics Intern is obliged to register as an intern with the Biokinetics Association of South Africa as well as the Health Professionals Council of SA.
The training to which an individual is exposed in the course of preparing to register as a Biokineticist is of such nature that it enables one to seek employment in a number of allied health-related fields. The scope of occupation is primarily dependent on the entrepreneurial initiative of the individual and includes practicing as a Biokineticist in the following environments, as listed alphabetically:
- Corporate Sector
- Correctional Facilities
- Elite and Professional Sport
- Fire Services
- Local Authorities
- Military Bases
- Military Hospitals
- Police Services
- Private Practices
A Biokineticist is a clinical exercise specialist who:
- Functions within professional alliance to health and medicine, and is recognised by and registered with the Health Professions Council of South Africa.
- Improves a person’s physical wellbeing and quality of life through individualised scientific assessment and the prescription of exercise in rehabilitative treatment to prevent or intervene with certain ailments and the enhancement of performance (sport and work).
- Evaluates & Measures: body posture, body composition, blood pressure, glucose levels, lung function, heart rate, fitness, muscle strength, endurance, power, flexibility and other health screenings.
- Is a health professional who through health promotion and wellness create a better quality of life for people they work with?
|Tel: 021 808 4735||Fax: 021 808 2838|
|Postal Address:||Physical Address:|
|Private Bag X1,
|Department of Sports Science
Email: [email protected]
Ghanascholarship.net is your number one portal for simple and authentic scholarship and admission-related information in Ghana.
We do not give scholarships, Instead, we provide credible information that guides you to make an informed decision on gaining scholarships worldwide.
Our articles are to serve as guides. The dates in our articles are referenced to academic years and must be interpreted a such.